Keto Birthday Cake \\ Sweet Laurel

As many of you know, Sweet Laurel has 5 core ingredients: almond flour, coconut oil, organic eggs, Himalayan pink salt and 100% maple syrup. The one ingredient that does not pass the keto friendly test is 100% maple syrup, So I created a recipe for those of you who may be following a low carb\keto diet, but would like to have your cake and eat it too.

In honor of Sweet Laurel’s third birthday, we’re posting this delicious ketogenic friendly birthday cake. I chose Lakanto Monk Fruit sweetener, as I have found it to be the best low carb sweetener in terms of taste. It also is Dr. Gundry approved, another reason I chose it! Enjoy this delicious cake! xoxo, Laurel

To make the Chocolate Cake
3 cups almond meal
1/3 cup cacao
1 t baking soda
1 t Himalayan pink salt
3 pastured eggs
3/4 cup water
1.5 T vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare 3, 6 inch pans by lining with parchment paper and greasing the sides with coconut oil.
In a bowl, combine the almond meal, cacao, baking soda, Himalayan pink salt and monk fruit sweetener. Stir.
Add the eggs, water and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until tooth pic inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool before topping with ganache.
To make the Ganache
4 oz 100% cacao baking chocolate
4 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
2-3 tablespoons monk fruit (or more, depending on palate)
1 cup coconut milk
Over very low heat, melt coconut oil and baking chocolate. Once melted, remove from heat. Slowly whisk in sweetener and coconut milk, until consistency is smooth. You may need to add more coconut milk or water to get a smoother texture.
** if cake is refrigerated, the ganache will harden a bit. Keep finished cake at room temperature for best results

23 thoughts on “Keto Birthday Cake \\ Sweet Laurel

1. Teri

Hi! Your recipe looks AMAZING!!! I would definitely love to try it…just wondering if you might know what the approximate amount of carbs/sugar would be in the cake?

Thanks so much and thank you for sharing!!

2. Rosalyne

Hi Laurel it is Rosalyne from church what could be used in place of Almond Meal? Wyatt has a nut allergy

3. marta

Hi! I will try this recipe in the next few days. Thanks!
    Do you know the amount of Swerve sweetener I should use? (I don’t do Monk Fruit)

Thanks in advance
    Marta

4. Bernice

This looks great! Is there a reason you are using Almond Meal instead of Almond Flour? Are these 2 interchangeable?

5. Romana

Why did you not substitute it with the Lakanto Maple flavored Syrup? If I did, how much would I use to make it closer to your original recipe?

6. NPJM

Absolutely fabulous recipe!! Five stars!!
    I am a long time cook/baker of Gluten Free and Keto foods and this is hands down the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had the pleasure of making. It blew everyone away.
    And thank goodness for LAKANTO!! My heartfelt thanks from all Keto devotees to the Lakanto Company for making such phenomenal products. Lakanto is a game changer for those of us in the Keto world – truly a gift from the Gods!
    Wish I could show you photos of my cake – BEAUTIFUL, GOOEY, and MOIST!!
    Woohoo!!

7. Blake

This looks delicious! Is there a reason you have listed Almond Meal instead of Almond Flour? Could you substitute Almond Flour?

8. Betsy

Would almond milk be a suitable substitute if I don’t have coconut milk on hand? Or would it not be creamy enough? Also, should I increase the recipe for two 10 inch pans?

9. lucy

Hi! Would the monkfruit substitute work in your other recipes as well? Looking to substitute maple syrup so there is less sugar.
    Thanks!

1. sweetlaurel Post author

Certainly! Just be sure to add equal the amount of water as liquid volume of the maple syrup in each recipe as well. It works great! You may even find you can lessen the monk fruit a bit. Also, I have only tested with Lakanto’s brand of monk fruit as noted in the recipe above, so I recommend sticking to that one. Happy Baking!

10. Kay Friel

Hello!

I’m super excited to try this Saturday! I wanted to know what brand of cacoa do you use? I just bought the Monk Sweetner you recommended!

11. Arianne

Thank you, Sweet Laurel…I am looking forward to more of your recipes modified to be Keto approved. I can’t seem to get a good cookie that has a good “chew” and is not too “cakey”.